Monday, March 24, 2014

REVIEW | Tacos El Asador - serving authentic favourites from El Salvador & Central America

There's definitely no shortage on restaurant that offer tacos with their own twist.  However, when you're looking for the real authentic El Salvadorian tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc. there's one place you should head to, and that's Tacos El Asador - a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant located in Koreatown, at Bloor St. & Clinton.

 


You step into a crowded, bright yellow and orange room filled with about a half a dozen picnic tables.  You have to order your food first before grabbing a seat, which made me nervous that there won't be any, but a spot opened up right after my group ordered. Phew!

There's music blasting and there are Central American signs and flags as decor. The atmosphere is fun and cheery and definitely felt a lot more authentic than other Mexican restaurants in the City. 



After we're seated, the server brings a bowl of their house made salsa and another bowl of sliced onions and jalapenos.  Let me just warn you that, I love spicy but that salsa was insane! Super spicy but I couldn't resist sprinkling it non-stop to all my food.

Next, our first order of Nachos came out. YUM! Generous amount of toppings covered the chips and it was just delicious.  Nachos are $6.90.

 
I went with two friends and we each got 3 tacos, thinking that they're going to be about 3-4 bites each. WRONG - they were so much bigger than we expected - talk about generosity! At $3.30 a piece, I chose the Fish Taco, Chicken Taco, and Al Pastor.  They were all delicious with the fish being my favourite.

We also ordered three pupusas - apparently this is what they're known for as it's an El Salvatorian dish.  I've never had these before but my friend did and she was raving about the ones she had in Central America.  We got the mixed as per the worker's recommendation.  It was like a cheese filled pancake but I couldn't enjoy it as much as I was beyond stuffed after my three tacos.

I definitely need to go back for their enchiladas and more pupusas!  If you're looking for a cheap spot for delicious and authentic Central American food, this is where you should go!

Tacos El Asador on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment