Friday, March 28, 2014

REVIEW | Bushi Udon Kappo - Midtown Toronto restaurant offering house made udon noodles & other traditional Japanese cuisine

I'm a big fan of noodles, so of course I love Udon! The chewy, bouncy and smooth texture of Udon noodles in a warm bowl of soup is the perfect way to warm up during the cold Canadian winter months, so when I heard that Bushi Udon Kappo make their noodles in-house, I had to try it for myself.  It was also convenient that it is located right at Yonge & St. Clair, just a few blocks from my workplace.


The restaurant seats up to about 30 diners so it's not a big space, maybe it gets busier during the weekends.  We were greeted immediately up on arriving by the friendly waitress.  They have an extensive menu including a variety of udon options, sushi rolls, sashimi, a la carte tempura, traditional Japanese entrees, and the list goes on.  Since we went there for their Udon, we didn't really spend much time looking at other menu items... there was just too much.

Premium Green Tea ($3.00)

Croquettes ($4.90)
Served with a small garden salad on the side, the croquettes had a crispy crunch.  The inside is a mixture of vegetables.


Kake Deep Fried Tofu Udon ($9.50) - soy sauce based bonito broth soup with scallions, seaweed and deep fried tofu.


Bushi Udon Zanmei ($14.50) - served with three 'broth/sauce' options to dip the noodles in: Japanese Curry / Tsuke Pork / Zaru and tempura shrimp & veggies.   I liked that you have three choices of broths to dip your noodles in so you get a taste of everything.  Udon in the curry bowl was a different idea than the typical broth I'm used to but it was delicious.  The cold Zaru soup was my favourite as it reminded me of my childhood when I would dip my soba noodles in the cold soup!

Overall, we had an enjoyable dinner but didn't think that the noodles were exceptional (maybe my expectations were too high).  However, I would recommend the Bushi Zanmei Platter for diners that want a little taste of everything as I haven't seen this on any other Japanese restaurants.




Bushi Udon Kappo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment