Sunday, May 25, 2014

LAUNCH | Lentil Hunter with Chef Michael Smith - Oh Canada, our home and producer of the world's best lentils

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of or seen Chef Michael Smith on one of his many shows, including The Inn Chef, Chef at Home, Chef at Large, and the list goes on. Let's add the web series, Lentil Hunter on that long list! This new show features Chef Michael Smith on a global journey to find the best recipes using lentils.  I was invited to the launch to meet the Lentil Hunter himself as well as to try those delicious lentil recipes at Cirillo's Culinary Academy.


Cirillo's Culinary Academy is located in Etobicoke and I don't know how I didn't know about this spot since I live so close to this area! This warm and inviting atmosphere equipped with state-of-the-art appliances for Chef Cirillo to hold his culinary classes.  For more information, click here.

Upon arrival, we received Canadian Lentils customized passports that we get stamped at the various stations throughout the event.  Each station featured a special lentil recipe from a specific country that Chef Michael Smith travelled to.

 

Watching some of the clips from his travels and hearing his stories in India, Dubai, Morocco & more was so intriguing! Obviously the best part was watching all the recipes being made so I can try it for myself at home.   I have had lentils in my food but was not one to make them at home but that's going to change from now.

Also, Something that came as a surprise to me was the fact that Canada is the producer of some of the world's best lentils! And these locally grown legumes are not only budget-friendly, but full of nutritious benefits - high in fibre and complex carbohydrates. Did I mention they're low in fat and calories? 

 
I loved looking through Chef Michael's travel book.  He jots down notes from his travels so that he can look back into it and also share with his family when he's back home - so sweet!

Below are the different stations featuring a recipe from the region Chef Michael visited:

Ahmedabad, India - Gujarati Thali with Lentil & Basmati

Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Crispy Lentil Fritters
These are my favourite because they're so easy to make! Soak the lentils in water, puree them, drop them in the deep fryer, done. And no, I'm not exaggerating - that's really how quick & easy it is.

 
Marrakech, Morocco - Moroccan Lentils & Table Bread

 
 Norcia, Italy - Umbrian Lentils & Sausage

Le Puy-en-Velay, France - French Lentil Souffle with Star Anise

A group shot with fellow FBC (Food Bloggers of Canada)

Check out the webisode of Chef Michael Smith in Dubai below
& learn how to make those Lentil Fritters:


No comments:

Post a Comment