Friday, October 10, 2014

WORKSHOP | cooking class & family style dinner with Mama Rosa at 7 Numbers Restaurant

I've seen or heard about 7 Numbers Restaurant and its delicious authentic Italian dishes it offers for as long as I can remember.  Recently I was invited to a cooking class & dinner with the woman behind the delicious food - Rosa Marinuzzi - of course I didn't hesitate to attend.  There are two locations in Toronto: one on the Danforth and one on Eglinton ave., the restaurant I visited.




In addition to lunch and dinner service at both restaurants, 7 Numbers offers cooking classes with Rosa once or two a month with Rosa.  This experience includes a three-course family-style dinner, unlimited wine and of course the chance to learn some of Rosa's tricks to amazing Italian dishes!

Upon entrance to the restaurant, I noticed something unique.  The open kitchen was placed right by the main window, allowing people passing by or restaurant diners to watch the culinary magic happen in front of their eyes.  Of course, this kitchen is where Rosa, myself and other diners were able to get messy to create all the different dishes we would make that night.



One thing about Rosa's cooking classes is that there's no recipe needed. She directed us to put 'some' salt in, put 'some' cheese, put 'some' olive oil - you get the idea hahaha. At first I hesitated not measuring the ingredients that's going into the dinner that we'll be eating but I quickly got the hang of her style of cooking - whatever it feels right because she cooks from her heart!

Everything ended up tasting amazing of course, most of the cooking was done by Rosa ;)

Here's a few photos of our family-style dinner... there was more but I was busy eating that I couldn't take photos of everything! Starting with the Antipasti:
Insulata Caprese ($9.00) - tomato & cherry buffalo bocconcini


Fried Artichokes

Primi $7.25 / $10.75:

Farfelle with vegetables

Linguine with shrimp


Lasagne with veal & Mozzarella

Secondi:
Sexy Duck Legs ($10.25) - roasted duck leg with rosemary and white wine

Mozzarella Stuffed Veal Meatballs ($12.25) baked in tomatos

 
Pesce ($10.25) - daily fish pan fried and baked in tomato sauce

Eggplant Palmungiane ($9.25) - pan fried eggplant baked in tomato sauce 

Let me just say that I felt like i gained 5lbs. when we were done eating - the food did not stop coming! My favourite dishes of the night were the Linguini with Shrimp, the Fried Artichokes and the Eggplant Palmugiane! Again, it seemed like it was simple enough to make, but I don't think I could duplicate it at home. Since I don't have an Italian nonna to cook these dishes at home for me, I'm going to have to come back to 7 numbers! 

Overall, the cooking class with Rosa was a great experience with non stop laughter and wine... of course the food as well! It would be fun to go out with a group of friend, coworkers or a date activity.  If you're not going with a big group of friends, don't worry - there are plenty of other food-loving people that make great company.

For more information on 7 Numbers cooking classes, click here.

  -Our meal at this event was complimentary but opinions are our own-

Seven Numbers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment