Wednesday, October 15, 2014

REVIEW | Bywoods - rustic ambiance & modern mediterranean cuisine on St. Clair West

I'm not often in the St. Clair West area but every time I'm there, I wonder why I'm rarely there.  This under-rated neighbourhood is home to many delicious restaurants to be discovered, one of them being the recently visited Bywoods, a creation by Tony Cappellano of Boom breakfast chain.  This dinner-only restaurant offers a Mediterranean-inspired menu that isn't too traditional.




I'm kicking myself for not going to Bywoods during the sunny summer months when I walked passed their patio! I will need to keep it in mind next time we get such weather in Toronto.

The interior of the restaurant lives up to its name - it has a cozy yet modern feel, sort of like a renovated cottage in Muskoka. So, what's in the name? The name 'Bywoods' was inspired by the many streets in the surrounding neighbouhood with the -wood suffix: Humewood, Wellwood, Maplewood, Pinewood, Wychwood & Kenwood.

 I didn't know what to expect in terms of the food offerings as I haven't really heard much about this place. But, let's just say I left a happy camper, spoiled with delicious food, also beautifully presented.


 Prosciutto Pizza
Fig, gorgonzola & dressed arugula


Vegetarian Pizza
Goat cheese, leek, red pepper, grilled artichoke, tomato, red onion, black olive & fresh marjoram


Beet Salad
goat cheese, charred red onion, arugula & walnut dressing


Mediterranean Salad
Vine tomato, cucumber, red onion, black olives, feta cheese & marjoram


 Fried Calamari
served with piri-piri & aioli

Pan-seared scallops with chorizo
Avocado mash, mixed green, black olives & jus


 Linguine with Shrimp
Spiced light cream sauce & spinach


Grilled Flank Steak
Arugula, mushroom, cured tomato salad, salsa verde & jus


  Pan-roasted Lamb Sirloin
Apricot, potato puree with smoked paprika, sautéed spinach & moroccan spiced jus


Flourless Chocolate Cake

Bywoods would make for a perfect spot for a date with their casual yet elegant atmosphere or to catch up with an old friend.  Beet Salad, Shrimp Linguine & Prosciutto Pizza are the three dishes that I can't stop thinking about, so I suggest you give them a try when you make your way to the 'woods.'


  -Our meal at this event was complimentary but opinions are our own-

Bywoods on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment