Wednesday, August 21, 2013

RECIPE | 'The Nutty Piggy' with Bacon, Nutella & Green Apple / 'The Krunchin' Banana' with Banana, Nutella & Rice Krispies

If you've read from the title, you're probably wondering what in the world is 'The Nutty Piggy' and 'The Krunchin' Banana'.  Well, Clara and I decided to make something creative using Nutella to enter a contest by Spread Nutellerie (@SpreadTO).  They ended up being pretty tasty so we decided to share it on our blog!  Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Image from SpreadTO on Twitter


1. 'The Nutty Piggy' by Monica:

I'm a total bacon-lover so I knew I wanted to do something with bacon.  I've tried the combination of peanut butter and bacon and fell in love with that so I though, why not with Nutella?

Also, I wanted to add another ingredient that will add some acidity to the Nutella & bacon combination without overpowering the Nutella flavour.  I decided to go with green apples since apples and known to complement pork very well.


 It's super simple to make 'The Nutty Piggy.'  You just need:
  • Bacon
  • Bread
  • Nutella
  • Green Apple


Spread the Nutella on the bread, cook the bacon (2.5. minutes in the microwave should do it, and green apple slices or sticks.


...and Voila! There you have it!


Quick & Easy snack - 'The Nutty Piggy'

...

2. The Krunchin' Banana by Clara:

My sweet tooth knows no limit so I had to incorporate the Nutella into something that could be a dessert. 
To make the Krunchin' Banana, you only need 3 ingredients
  • 1 banana
  • 2 tablespoons of Nutella
  • 2 handfuls of Rice Krispies

I cut the banana into 3 sections and then cut them in half so they would stay on a plate easily. Remember to choose a banana that isn't too ripe so that it won't be too mushy.
I browned the bananas a little bit in a skillet with butter but it's an optional step, it makes the banana softer but I think I would have preferred them to be firm.

Boil a pot of water and then place the Nutella in a bowl and place it in the pot. Slowly melt the Nutella. Never add any liquid to thin the Nutella as it will just become very clumpy. The Nutella should be very smooth once it’s been heated.

Turn off the stove and mix in the rice krispies until they are evenly coated.

Coat the banana with your coated cereal mixture. It doesn’t stick very well so you’ll have to scoop the mixture on top of the bottom, I did that for both sides but the next time I make it I’m only going to leave the mixture on one side.
Chill in the fridge for an hour to let the chocolate set and enjoy your easy to make dessert at home!
You can also experiment with different kinds of coating like crushed cornflakes. If you don't want to coat the cereal, you can melt the Nutella and roll the banana in the hazelnut spread and then roll it in the cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment