Thursday, June 05, 2014

EVENT | Going Peanut Crazy at Evergreen Brickworks - Campfire Inspired Lunch

Last week, I attended an event by the Peanut Bureau of Canada to learn more about peanuts and peanut butter that I love eating on a regular basis. Let me just tell you that hanging out with RD Sue Mah and recipe developer Heather Trim gave me some nutty inspiration by the time they were done teaching me about the powerful peanut. I was spoiled with amazing weather at the beautiful Evergreen Brick Works with some unforgettable food made with peanuts & peanut butter!


When I arrived on the free shuttle bus from Broadview Station that dropped me off right at the Evergreen Brick Works, I was greeted by a gorgeous ray of sunshine and a fume of campfire smoke... I was in city-camping heaven!  Benches, fold up chairs, tents and campfire wood was set up for the Peanut Canada event and what a perfect venue Koerner Gardens was for this.

 

There were about 15 bloggers there for the event - a nice intimate group size, eager to learn more about simple & delicious campfire recipes using peanuts & peanut butter. Some of the bloggers brought along their children, who were occupied with the arts & craft table they set up for them! Awesome!

 
Registered Dietitian, Sue Mah explaining her love for glamping (glam camping) & peanuts, a very nutritious snack for everyone, except for those who are allergic!

Quick Peanut Facts:
- Peanuts & PB contain more than one dozen different nutrients with top 5 being Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Magnesium, Folate & Vitamin E
- 85% of fats in peanuts is the 'good' unsaturated fat - important for heart health to lower blood cholesterol levels
- Peanuts & PB are virtually trans fat-free
- Peanuts & PB contain no cholesterol
- One serving is 2 tablespoons or 30ml

Chicken & Veggie Wrap with Asian Chilli Peanut Butter Sauce

Fresh Veggies with Peanut Butter Hummus

Medley of Fruits with Peanut Butter Caramel

My delicious lunch!

Now, for the best part - making s'mores over a campfire - how's that for a lunch time treat?

We got our very own S'more Kit - so cute!

Ta-da! I love making S'mores when I go camping but never had it before with peanut butter. After trying this once, I will never go back to plain old s'mores.

I left this lunch happily full with a new outlook on peanuts. They are so versatile for a variety of recipes, not just for a PB & jelly sandwich! The make delicious snacks as well as meals... I for one, can't keep my hand out of the bag of peanuts I left the event with. I told you, I've gone peanut-crazy!

To learn more about the Powerful Peanut, check out the Peanut Bureau of Canada.


-The Food Sisterhood attended this event as media
thus food & drinks were complimentary but opinions are our own- 

No comments:

Post a Comment