Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Momiji Sushi on Royal York - romantic place in Etobicoke for impressive Japanese cuisine

Yet another great sushi place in Etobicoke that I love to go to from time to time is Momiji Sushi Bar & Grill on Bloor Street & Royal York.  This place is more upscale and fancier than your typical sushi restaurants, so I like to go on special occasions.



They have a small space for parking beside the restaurant, but it's usually pretty full as they share with other places in the plaza.  There's another parking lot across the street, which has way more space.  It's also a very walkable distance from Royal York TTC Station.

Another plus about this restaurant is that they have the sushi-go-around aka. sushi train, where there is a conveyor belt that carries various plates of different sushi in small portions.  You just eat what you want and pay by the plate.  I've never had that service here, but I've only gone on weekend nights, so they may do it at other times. I definitely want to try this.  I've only seen this at this restaurant and another sushi place downtown.

Picture taken from momijis.com
The ambiance is romantic and warm - perfect for a date.  The servers are super friendly and doting as well.  They check up on your frequently during your time there and make sure you have everything you need.

For starters, you get the typical salad and miso soup and the appetizer (if you order any).  we got the Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura.  



The tempura is delicious here.  Perfectly crispy and you can tell the freshness of the shrimp.  The vegetables were yummy as well.


I also highly recommend their Sushi Pizza.  It's a mixture of chopped sashimi, fish eggs, crabmeat, and their sauce all atop a crispy deep fried rice.  It's delicious!

Finally, the main... I love getting the love boat combos or love bridge combos - they are a combination of nigiris, sashimis and various rolls on a boat or a bridge.  It's perfect for sharing and is of good value.  There are different sizes you can choose as well.  Below is the Love Bridge B, which I get when I go with one other person.


The nigiri sushi isn't the freshest I've tasted but the rolls were pretty good, not to mention their beautiful presentation!  I really loved the dynamite rolls and the spicy salmon rolls here.  


The gigantic boat above is the Love Boat A combo (another visit).  This one has a lot of pieces of sashimi, nigiri and special rolls, so I get this when I'm with at least 2 other diners.  It's a great value to get these combos as you get a lot of choices in sushi and it comes with miso soup & salad.


Their Tempura Udon here is great as well.  It's a simple noodle bowl with tempura veggies and shrimp served on the side.  I especially love the broth - great for having with sushi after you finish your miso soup!

Overall, it's a great place for a date, girl's night out, lunch or dinner. This is definitely a great place in the West-End for sushi in my opinion as the food is delicious and the service is attentive and professional. 





Momiji Sushi Bar and Grill on Urbanspoon
Momiji on Foodio54

1 comment:

  1. Wow nice place and decoration like you say perfect for a date.I like how looks the tempura shrimps.
    Nice options to go.

    ReplyDelete