Wednesday, October 16, 2013

REVIEW | Big Daddy's Bourbon Street Bistro & Oyster Bar - New Orleans Southern style cooking done right in Toronto's Bistro

For my immense oyster cravings my friend recommended Big Daddy's on King St.  She's had great experiences every time she went so I decided to give it a try!  Big Daddy's pride itself on their New Orleans Style cuisine so I was super excited to explore their take on the cuisine.


My friend and I got there first, so as we waited for the others we sipped on some wine and looked through the oyster choices.  Carlos, the manager brought us 8 of their fresh oysters.  4 were from Nova Scotia - these were definitely my favourite as they really had that ocean flavour, which I love.  The other was Kusshi, which was less ocean-y than the Nova Scotia ones.

I love that their oysters come with a 6 different sauces, each covering a "spicy" scale from mild to HOT.  I liked the Dixie Gold sauce (yellow), which was of medium hotness, made with hot peppers, onions, ginger and mustard.  I was also told that you can purchase these house-made sauces to take home!


After the rest of our party arrived, we had to order another two dozen oysters.  Can't get enough!

As for our meal, we all decided to go with Big Daddy's Prix Fixe dinner menu that comes with appetizer, entree, and a dessert.


 Popcorn Shrimp, served with tomato & pepper aioli, creole-spiced ketchup.


Big Daddy's Clam Chowder *favourite*, served with oyster crackers and lots of clams!


JalapeƱo Cornbread Bruschetta with mozzarella cheese, served with roasted red pepper and tomato.


Now onto the mains.  The above is the Jambalaya with bronzed chicken, shrimp, chorizo sausage served with creole style rice.  This dish was definitely the dish that screamed "Southern" from all the entrees we had.  Even with lots of meat in it, it wasn't heavy and everything complemented each other well.


The Bronzed Fish of the Day was Catfish or Tilapia.  I went with Tilapia.  It was seared perfectly - crispy on the outside and soft and flaky on the inside.  The seasonal veggies on the side was a good pairing with the fish.


The Bronzed Chicken Breast was a hit for all of us.  The sauce they use, tomato and mushroom pan gravy was so soulful and delicious! My mouth is watering as I write about it...  The chicken was also cooked perfectly.  This is highly recommended.


The Bourbon Street Bread Pudding was a good finish to our huge meal.  It was served with Vanilla ice cream and whisky sauce.


Small & sweet, the Red Velvet Cupcake was enjoyable as well.

Overall, I am so glad my friend took me to Big Daddy's.  I am such a big fan and I can't wait to go back for their Clam Chowder and Popcorn Chicken.  There are so many on the menu I didn't get to try on this visit that I can't wait to try on my next!  The service was great as well - from the moment they seated us, they were attentive and knowledgeable about suggesting what we should order.




 
Big Daddy's Bourbon Street Bistro & Oyster Bar on Urbanspoon
Big Daddy's Crabshack & Oyster Bar on Foodio54

No comments:

Post a Comment