Friday, December 30, 2016

REVIEW | Light Cafe

We find Baldwin Village to be a street in Toronto that is ever growing. You'll never know what to expect in terms of businesses that will pop up! Not to mention it's diverse food culture including gelato, ramen, Italian, Filipino food and so much more. It doesn't surprise us at all that Light Cafe decided to take residence on Baldwin. 


I have traveled quite extensively through Asia and can say with confidence that Light Cafe looks exactly like a cafe you would find in Taiwan. Not only is it spacious inside, I love the minimalist decor inside which provides a calming atmosphere. I could see myself sitting at the cafe for hours (within reason haha) and getting some work done. 

The first thing that we noticed and I'm sure many of you will as well - is the living wall. I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant where there was a living wall but I've always wanted one of my own. With the natural sunlight coming in with the wall, it's the perfect place to feel like you're outside without feeling the cold Toronto temperatures. 


We got a chance to try some of their more popular items on the menu and if I had more space in my stomach, I would have wanted to try everything! I found everything on their menu to be pretty reasonable in terms of price and portion. 

Lobster Bisque ($9.50)

I wasn't sure what to expect when we ordered the soup as I've only had it at fancy restaurants but this one sure hit the spot! It was creamy enough without being so heavy that you didn't want to eat any after that.

Smoked Salmon Salad ($11.25) with fruit tea 

We had originally wanted to order the duck salad but they were out for the day so we settled for the smoked salmon salad! It was a good salad but I don't usually rave about salads as I always prefer meat to vegetables! I do really love smoked salmon though and will welcome it on any of my dishes :)

Truffle Mushroom Croissant  ($11.95)

If I had to choose one item to order off the menu, it would definitely be the truffle mushroom croissant. It just all came together so well as a whole Even now as I'm writing about it a month later, I wish I was eating one right now! 

 Lobster Roll ($15.50)

The lobster rolls were really good too, it reminded me of the ones I had in Halifax last year, so it was nice to know that I could find something similar in Toronto. The ratio of lobster to bread was perfect and the bread was perfectly toasted. 


Not only was the food delicious, the way it was plated is every food blogger's dream! Everything photographed so well together and make it that much more appetizing. 

Bacon and Egg Baked Potato ($3.75 each)

We were pretty full after everything we ate but we ordered a few of the bacon and egg baked potatoes as well. These were pretty filling and might even be enough for a meal if you aren't that hungry or if you're looking to get a snack with a drink while you're working. 

Earl Grey Rose Latte and Cotton Candy Coffee

Of all the drinks on the menu, the cotton candy coffee was definitely the more eye catching. It's a shame I don't drink coffee cause I really wanted to try it but the Earl Grey Rose Latte was delicious and perfect for me! I really like the concept of the cotton candy coffee which lets you melt the sugar directly in the coffee and watching my friend make was it was entertaining enough for me. 

Creme Brulee Three Ways ($9.75)

I know I just said we were super full from the meal but how can we say no to dessert - especially when its creme brulee three different ways?? Creme Brulee is usually a hit or miss for me, sometimes it can be too sweet and overpowering but I think the Asian flavours with this creme brulee was really great at cutting down the sweetness of the dessert. 

Charcoal Black Sesame Waffle ($10.25)

We also had to order their signature and very beautiful waffles. We wanted to try something a little different so we ordered the black sesame waffle. I always prefer matcha desserts but I really enjoyed these waffles. The only thing I would suggest is to switch out the second sesame ice cream for a vanilla as I found it to be a little too much sesame with the sauce, ice cream and waffle. 


Overall, I would highly recommend Light Cafe and I can't wait to go back!  The dishes we tried are highly recommended as well but feel free to try out some of their other items. Be sure to let us know how you liked them! 

Our meal was complimentary but opinions are our own -

Light Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment